The SDS group, one of the subdivisions of the Chandra X-ray Center,
is responsible for defining the scientific requirements for the Chandra
data processing and analysis software, and for supporting the user
community's use of the software.
Our most visible role is as the science community's interface to the CIAO data analysis package.
Our activities include:
- Scientific oversight of the CIAO data analysis system and of Chandra SDP (Science Data Processing pipelines)
- Collaboration with the CXC Data Systems group in the development of CIAO
- Testing and scientific validation of the CIAO and Level 1/2 SDP software
- Design of archival data products in collaboration with CXC Data Systems' Archive team
- Documentation of Chandra user software
- Operation of the CIAO helpdesk to answer user questions on the software
- Reporting to the Chandra Users' Committee and to the NASA Chandra Quarterly Review.